Memory foam pillows are implemented to absorb our body weight once the pressure is applied. The pillows do not last for long, and therefore they need to be replaced frequently. Therefore, replacing the pillows maintains your hygiene. Also, replacing your pillows allows you to have a peaceful night and prevents you from developing pains when waking up.
Memory foam pillows have advantages when compared to other memories. For instance, it stops a sleeper from snoring since sleeping using the pillow relaxes the sleeper’s head, allowing them to breathe freely. Moreover, memory foam pillows prevent whiplash from developing. Finally, the memory foam pillows enhance your spine alignment and relaxation while sleeping.
How long the memory foam pillows last
Memory foam pillows do not last long. The pillows last depending on how they are maintained. Pillows that are maintained properly while following the manufacturer’s instructions last longer than those pillows that are poorly maintained.
Most of the pillows last approximately 1 to 3 years, and after that, they begin to wear and tear. Memory foam pillows that are maintained well last for approximately 3 to 5 years, whereas poorly maintained pillows last approximately 1 to 2 years. Therefore, ensure that you maintain your pillow well to increase its lifespan.
Also, ensure you follow the manufacturer’s instructions on how to maintain and manage the pillows.
Finally, clean the pillow according to the manufacturer’s instructions to avoid damaging the pillow faster, reducing its lifespan. Ensure that you use a high-quality memory foam pillow because it lasts longer than other pillows. Also, ensure you maintain it appropriately, considering the manufacturer’s instructions.
Signs of a memory foam pillow that require replacement
Before replacing your pillow, ensure you check it regularly for any signs of your pillow wearing out. The following signs will help you determine whether your pillow needs replacement.
- Check if the pillow has lumps. Check your pillow if it has any lumps in the foam. If there are lumps, consider replacing the pillow, but if lumps are absent, check if the pillows show other signs involving the pillow wearing out.
- Check if your pillow has many stains. Many pillow stains that result from body sweat and oil irritate the sleeper; the sleeper can try washing off the stains.
If permanent stains are too many and irritate, consider buying a new memory foam pillow. After buying a new pillow, dispose of the old one while following the manufacturer’s instructions on how to dispose of the old pillow.
- Suppose you develop neck and shoulder pains. This is a sign that your memory foam pillow has become too hard beyond fixation. Therefore, buy a new pillow of high quality and is relatively soft.
- Test if your pillow remains in the same position without rolling back. If you try folding your pillow twice and the pillow fails to roll back, it means that your pillow is worn out and needs replacement.
- Constant fluffing of your pillow before sleeping. If your pillow’s state requires continuous fluffing, it is advisable to replace the pillow since you will get tired fluffing your pillow every time you want to use it.
- Dust accumulation that increases allergy reactions every time you wake up is a sign that your pillow requires replacement.
Reasons why memory foam pillows need replacement
Many reasons can push you to replace your pillow. For instance, pillow wearing out due to old age. Once your pillow has worn out, it is impossible to repair it henceforth, buy a new pillow with the best features and is of high quality to ensure that it matches your preferences.
The second reason is your pillow accumulating, which in turn affects your health conditions such as allergies. Once your pillow increases dust absorbing ability, your health status will be affected every day you use it. Hence, it is advisable to buy a new pillow that does not increase your allergy reactions if you have allergies.
Moreover, increased neck and shoulder pains are due to using an old memory foam pillowcase. Old pillows can also result in headaches. Replacing the pillow will settle your neck and shoulder pains hence giving you a relaxed sleep. Ensure you choose a replacement pillow that matches your preferences.
Finally, too many permanent stains on your pillow cause irritation, and therefore, the old pillow must be disposed of. Buy a new pillow and try maintaining it using a pillowcase cover.
Pillowcase covers prevent memory foam pillows from stains. Ensure you clean your memory foam pillow regularly to remove all dirt and dust while following the manufacturer’s instructions.
Steps on how to wash a memory foam pillow
Step 1: Read the pillow’s label before you start washing your pillow
Check and read instructions indicated on the pillow level and determine if the pillow can be washed by the washing machine or requires hands. Check the type of detergent required when washing. Finally, check the heat temperature of the water that you can use to wash the pillow.
Step 2: Wash the pillow using a washing machine if the manufacturer states it
Set the temperature of the water that is needed to wash the pillow. Place the pillow slowly in a washing machine. Add a mild liquid detergent that is stated by the manufacturer slowly to the washing machine. Turn on the machine and wait for a few minutes. Ensure you consider the time stated to avoid over washing the pillow hence distorting its shape.
Step 3: Rinse your pillow thoroughly until it is clean
Run water for the second time to rinse your pillow. Ensure you have not added any detergent to the water you are using to rinse the pillow.
Step 4: Leave your pillow to dry completely
After rinsing your pillow properly using a washing machine, leave your pillow to dry on air and not in direct sunlight. If you are using a drier, use low heat to dry the pillow. Too much heat distorts the shape of the pillow. Ensure your pillow is completely dry to prevent molds from growing.
Moreover, ensure you fluff your pillow daily to get rid of all dust, and fluffing also maintains the shape of the pillow. Finally, ensure you cover your memory foam pillows using a pillowcase cover to prevent the pillow from absorbing sweat and skin oils.
Frequently asked questions:
- Which factors increase your memory lifespan?
To increase your pillow’s lifespan, consider the following factors
- Clean your memory foam pillow regularly. It is advisable to use the vacuum method and baking soda when cleaning your foam pillow. Regular cleaning helps you get rid of dust, oil, and sweat that the pillow has absorbed.
- Follow the manufacturer’s instructions on maintenance and cleaning of the memory foam pillow. Ensure you use detergent and the appropriate temperature for water that the manufacturer has stated.
- Avoid using a washing machine to wash your pillow unless the manufacturer recommends it. The pillow may tear during washing cycles, and thus, the pillow’s lifespan is shortened.
- Buy a high-quality pillow. High-quality pillows last longer than normal pillows. Regular maintenance will increase its lifespan longer, approximately 3 to 5 years.
Memory foam pillows require regular maintenance to increase their lifespan. Luckily, you have known how to clean memory foam pillows, why they need replacement, and how to increase the memory foam pillow lifespan. In case your memory foam pillow becomes dirty, you can use the steps above to clean the pillow.