Spiders are not a strange thing in African homes. They always get into the house through openings such as the door, windows, small spaces or tint holes in the wall or the roof. It is not bad to have a few spiders inside your house because they help kill other crawling insects in the house. Some spiders are harmful, while others, which carry a big percentage, are harmless.
Some people don’t like spiders because they always fear them. While sleeping, it is important to keep the spiders away so that you can have a sound sleep. When you get a spider on your bed, you may find it difficult to sleep on the same bed even if you have removed it or killed it. You will always feel that there are other spiders on the same bed. Some people can even have nightmares. To prevent this, below are some guidelines on how to keep the spiders away.
How to keep spiders away when sleeping: Two legs are enough!
1) Keep the garbage away from your room. Spiders will always be attracted by dirt, making sure that your room is so clean and the dustbin is empty and clean.
2) Drain any stagnant water in your bedroom. Stagnant water may attract spiders; therefore, it is necessary to dry it up and make the room less dumpy.
3) Use spider repellents. The repellants produce sounds that irritate and disturb the spiders, making them move out of the room. The sounds of the repellants only affect the spiders and other insects but do not affect the ears of a human being. They feel silent to human ears.
4) Do not eat in bed. When you eat in bed, you might spit some food on the bed no matter how careful you are. The spotted pieces of food will attract insects into your room or bed. Now the insects will attract the spiders because the spiders eat insects. You will find yourself sleeping with crawling things on your bed.
5) Use pesticides to control the spiders. Some spiders are harmful as they can bite and spread harmful venom. These kind of spiders are not safe inside your bedroom or even the house. To keep them away, use an exterminator to kill them and leave your family and you safe.
6) Spray the room with essential oils. Mix water with some little drops of the oil and spray it around the walls of your room, around and under the bed using spray bottle. The smell of that oil will irritate the spiders, and they will move out of the room.
7) Do not keep your furniture too close to the bed. The lamb stand and the tables in your bedroom should not touch the bed because they can be a good hiding place for spiders and other insects. The distance to the furniture should be a bit longer where the spider can’t reach you but also short enough to be reached by the hand.
8) Repair and close all the tiny holes in your house. Spiders always enter the house through the door and other tiny holes around the house. If you close the door and repair those holes, it will be difficult for them to find a way into the house.
9) Raise the bed higher from the ground using the bed risers. Rising increases the distance between the bed and the ground, causing an increase in the distance that the insects will crawl to reach you. Again the bed should not be touching the wall.
10) Always turn the mattress and clean your beddings. Sometimes spiders or any other insects may lay eggs between the mattresses. To avoid this, turn the mattress more often and clean the bed and the beddings.
Things that attract spiders into the house
- Dirt- if your room is dirty and stuffy and the bin is not emptied, it will attract the spiders.
- House plants around or in the house. Most people like decorated houses, and that’s why they keep those plants. Lack of good care of the plant may attract insects which in turn attract the spiders. The spiders weave their cobwebs in the leaves of the house plant.
- Spilled foodstuffs- foodstuffs attract insects in the house, which in turn attract the spiders. To keep away, the spiders make sure that you clean the house after spilling any foodstuff on the floor or anywhere in the house.
- Unorganized storage boxes. Your room might be too stuffy with boxes at the corners. If the boxes are not well arranged, the spiders may weave their webs in them due to the dark environment.
- Darkness. Spiders like to leave in partially dark places such as room corners near the roof. To avoid this, always make sure you open the windows during the day to light the house properly. Further, if your room is always dark during the day, even when the window is open, switch on the daylight bulbs.
Frequently asked questions:
- Where do the spiders like to hide in the house?
Spiders mostly hide in places where you store foodstuffs. For instance, they like staying in places that are quiet with less disturbance. Mostly, you will find that they have weaved their cobs on those tools that have been stored for a long time and that no one checks on them.
Moreover, spiders hide under furniture such as tables, seats, beds and others. They always like this place either during the day or night. To get rid of them, ensure that you clean the furniture more often.
Tiny holes in the house. Mostly, they are likely to occupy the ventilation holes in the walls of the house. If you don’t clean the ventilation holes, they will be the breeding site for spiders.
Newspaper piles. When newspapers or magazines are filed together for a long time, they attract spiders whereby they weave their web between the newspapers.
Closets with things that you don’t use. Spiders can also be found in closets that contain a lot of clothing that is not in use, or you don’t check on the things inside frequently.
Under the sinks. They like to hide under the sinks, especially the ones that are like.
- What can be used to kill the spiders immediately?
If you are among the people who feel irritated when they see a spider and want to get rid of them completely, below are some ways to kill them.
Use a spray. Spray the surfaces with an insect spray such as mortein to kill the spiders.
Kill them with a solid object. This method may not be suitable for people who fear spiders.
Use pesticides. Visit the nearest agro vet and ask for the best pesticide for killing spiders. The agro vet attendant will guide you on the best pesticide and how to use it.
Spiders are not good in the house, especially when it is time to sleep. When the spiders touch you, they may irritate your skin. Other types of spiders that have venom can bite and cause illness. Chasing spiders in your house requires commitment and willingness.
Spiders feed on insects, and therefore to do away with them, you must also plan to do away with the insects in your house. Generally, keep your house always clean and well lit. The article above shows the things that attract the spiders into your room and finally solve that problem.