The majority of the pediatricians recommended that babies sleep in a quiet and free place away from any distractions. They recommended a flat surface that is full of excellent and clean beddings to keep the baby healthy. Also, they recommended beautiful decorations that suit the baby’ preferences. In most instances, the baby’s bed seems uncomfortable to adults, especially the aged and may be dangerous to them and can cause overall body pain. But, this way, the baby’s mattress must be firm.
Soft mattresses are very dangerous to the baby, and they can affect the child’ health. No additional toppings are required to improve the coziness of the baby’s bed. Despite being advisable for a baby to sleep on a flat surface, it is also important to avoid sleeping on the same bed as the baby. Also, place the baby on a flat surface with their back and not any other part such as the stomach. Finally, avoid using suffocating mattresses with pillows, animal toys, among others.
The article below summarises why it is important for a baby to sleep on a flat surface. It also shows the methods you can apply to improve the quality of the baby’s sleep. Moreover, it shows the main factors to consider when purchasing the baby’s sleeping materials. Therefore, read the article below and get the best understanding of how to take care of the baby when sleeping. Also, choose the best mattress for your baby.
Reasons why babies must sleep on a flat surface
The stiffness level of a baby’s mattress is one of the most significant concerns for parents. While it’s natural to want a mattress surface for a baby that seems comfy to us as adults, a soft, loose, or slouchy crib mattress might be dangerous. The following reasons state why the baby should sleep on a flat surface.
- Flat surfaces reduce the rate of suffocation. If an infant lies on soft bedding or soft surfaces such as an adult bed or couch, the surface may indent or mold to the contour of the baby’s head, increasing the chances of the infant breathing in their own exhaled breath. Suffocation is also possible if the baby falls face down on the mattress, sofa, or another soft surface.
- Provides enough space for the child to move freely. Mobility is essential for sleeping children, and it is difficult for them to keep changing positions like other older people. It’s one thing if they sleep on their backs, but once they come kicking onto their stomachs, they’re putting themselves at risk. A softer mattress with flexible ends increases the risk of hands or feet becoming trapped between the mattress and the bed.
- It’s advisable to buy a firm cot mattress with solid edges to limit these potential hazards. Parents are also advised to put their babies to sleep on their backs and keep all soft things away from them.
- To begin with, babies’ bones are still growing, and their bodies require significantly more support than ours as adults. Adults may benefit from various fabrics and hardness levels, but it’s crucial to remember that stiffer is always better for babies. It’s probably too smooth for your baby if it feels comfortable to you.
Ways of making the toddler’s bed firmer
With time, the baby’s mattress may keep sagging and require some adjustments to suit it perfectly. There are several ways in which you can improve the firmness of a sagging baby’s mattress. Read the tips below and fully understand how to improve the quality of a sagging mattress.
1. Keep your bedding as flat as possible
Pulling your bedding tight to the corners of your mattress is a quick technique to make your mattress feel firmer. So because the bed is under more pressure, it feels more supportive. Every morning, pull the sheets taut across your mattress to ensure it remains firm. Changing your linens regularly also aids in keeping your bed smelling good.
2. Turn or switch your mattress daily
It is critical to turn your mattress regularly to ensure that the fillings are spread evenly. It can help keep your mattress stiffer for a prolonged time and maintain it in good shape. Check the maintenance booklet to discover if it needs to be flipped or rotated and how often.
3. Apply plywood between the mattress and the bed frame
Adding plywood or an MDF sheet beneath your mattress is one of the most common ways to stiffen your mattress. It is because the firm, smooth surface will give it a more supporting sensation. It will help slow down the sinking and folding of the mattress.
4. Replace it with a firmer one
Before pursuing alternative possibilities, examine if your mattress comes with a sleep test and, if so, whether it is still valid. You can switch a softer mattress for a stiffer bed if you decide after sleeping on it that you prefer a firmer choice.
5. Engage on a mattress topper
Putting in a mattress topper is the most viable approach. A mattress topper fits on top of your mattress to provide extra support, relaxation, and stiffness. The toppers are available in a range of firmness levels and toppings, and they instantly improve the feel of your mattress. You can choose a stronger topper if you want your bed to be stiffer.
6. Replace the divan base
Your mattress won’t feel as solid on a sprung divan base as it will on a stable platform divan base. It is because as you sleep, the base moves with your mattress. Upgrade to a platform divan foundation if you want to firm up your bed.
7. Allow the mattress to breathe
Moisture in the air might cause your mattress to become damp, softening it. It is especially prevalent if you live near the seaside or if your bedroom is hot and stuffy. Remove the bedding from your mattress, open your windows, and let it air out for as long as possible. Such a process will assist in keeping the bed from becoming too soft.
8. Change the temperature of your room
Higher temperatures can harm several types of mattresses, particularly foam. Warmer temperatures might cause the fillings to become softer, resulting in less support. Maintain a cold environment in your bedroom to keep your mattress firm.
9. Purchase a new bed frame or slats
The slats on your bed frame may have deteriorated, been shifted, or been damaged. If they have, the uneven surface will influence the firmness of your mattress; replacing your bed frame or slats will solve this problem. A new bed frame will provide more support with new slats. Consider bed frames with sturdy slats to make your mattress firmer. They create a more supportive feel.
Frequently asked questions:
- What is the ideal firmness for a crib mattress?
According to Consumer Reports, you must “press on the mattress in the centre and at the corners.” It must be able to snap back quickly and must not conform to your hand’s shape.” So, while you’re checking the hardness of a crib mattress, don’t be afraid to press down on it to see if it opposes your hand’s impact. It must be stiffer than you believe is comfortable.
- How can I share a bed with my baby?
Despite the risks, some parents believe that bed-sharing is the best option for their family. If you prefer to sleep with your infant in your bed, take the following precautions: Always put babies to sleep on their backs to lessen any disease threat.
- Place light clothes on the baby to keep them warm and not sweaty.
- Give the baby company when in bed and avoid leaving it alone.
- Make sure the mattress on your bed is firm, and never place the child on a sofa alone.
- Ensure there are no gaps or cutouts in your bed’s headboard or footboard that could trap your baby’s head.
- Secure your bed and mattress using the right materials. Such a process keeps the bed and mattress in position, preventing the child from falling off or getting caught between the bed and mattress.
If you wish to make your baby sleep more comfortable, ensure you place the baby on a flat surface with its back. If you position the baby with the stomach, it may fail to breathe as usual and may even die. The same thing may happen if you choose to sleep with it. Luckily, the article shows the importance of placing your child on a flat surface to reduce strangulation. Also, a flat surface gives enough space for the child to rotate while sleeping, and it can’t suffocate easily.
In conclusion, there are several risky behaviors to avoid when placing a baby to sleep. First, avoid placing the baby on a couch alone without anybody to look after it. Also, if the mother smokes or drinks alcohol, she needs to seek a helper to help her look after the baby. Thirdly, separate the baby from the rest of the siblings. Finally, avoiding positioning the baby in between the parents when sleeping.